What we believe
As a parish in the Episcopal Church of the Diocese of Alabama and member of the worldwide Anglican Communion, we believe that the Holy Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments contain all things necessary to salvation and as being the rule and ultimate standard of faith.
We believe that the sacraments of Holy Baptism and Holy Eucharist, ordained by Christ himself, are the primary ways in which we are drawn together in communion with God and neighbor.
Our focus for unity in the Church of God is rooted in the office of the bishop.
To worship God and minister to each other and the community so that Christ’s transforming love may be known in the world. – The Mission of All Saints'
All Saints’ is located in the thriving neighborhood community of Homewood, a suburb of Birmingham, Alabama. We are a parish of loving and caring people who believe and try to live by the creeds we say each Sunday. At All Saints' you will find a welcoming community of people seeking a closer relationship with God through Jesus Christ. By worshipping together, learning together, playing together, and serving together we find ourselves strengthened and renewed to face the challenges of life in the 21st century.
With a membership of just over 1700, All Saints' is the fifth largest Episcopal church in the Diocese of Alabama. However, one of the things most loved by our parishioners is the “small church” feel they have when attending services here.
Above: Our first permanent building, located to the right of the existing church.
All Saints' formed in 1928, and 2017 marks the 89th anniversary of our founding.
In the spring of 1928, a group of women who had moved to Homewood and were members of other Birmingham Episcopal Churches began meeting together. Bishop William G. McDowell led them in weekly Lenten services. In July 1928, with financial assistance from the Cathedral Church of the Advent and St. Mary’s-on-the Highland, the first Episcopal parish south of Jones Valley in Jefferson County was established in a room above the Edgewood Drug Store at the corner of Oxmoor and Broadway in Homewood.